Monday, January 19

SELMA

 
Celebrating MLK Day with the film Selma.
The cast of Selma: Martin Luther King Jr. (David Oyelowo), President Lyndon B. Johnson (Tom Wilkinson), Fred Gray (Cuba Gooding Jr.), John Doar (Alessandro Nivola), Coretta Scott King (Carmen Ejogo), Amelia Boynton (Lorraine Toussaint), Governor George Wallace (Tim Roth), Annie Lee Cooper (Oprah Winfrey), Diana Nash (Tessa Thompson), Lee C. White (Giovanni Ribisi), James E. Orange (Omar Dorsey), Cager Lee (Henry Sanders), Andrew Young (André Holland), J. Edger Hoover (Dylan Baker), Jimmie Lee Jackson (Keith Standfield), and Rev. Ralph Abernathy (Colman Domingo).






All images are from Selma Movie website.

About the film: SELMA is the story of a movement. The film chronicles the tumultuous three-month period in 1965, when Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. led a dangerous campaign to secure equal voting rights in the face of violent opposition. The epic march from Selma to Montgomery culminated in President Johnson (Tom Wilkinson) signing the Voting Rights Act of 1965, one of the most significant victories for the civil rights movement.  Director Ava DuVernay’s SELMA tells the real story of how the revered leader and visionary Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (David Oyelowo) and his brothers and sisters in the movement prompted change that forever altered history. 
Film story from www.selmamovie.com 

Everyone NEEDS to see this film. It's absolutely phenomenal. Starting with the storyline to the amazing acting. This film had me jumping in my seat with shock, crying, and then brought a smile to my face at the end. Director Ava DuVernay did an excellent job capturing this part of Martin Luther King Jr.'s life. While I was watching this film I realized how powerful people could become when people make a stand together. Not one person or issue should be left ignored. Speaking of this I want to bring up the Oscar nomination snubs. I strongly believe that leaving Selma out of the Best Actor and Best Director category was wrong. It's evident that this wasn't just another acting job to the cast and crew of this film. By watching this film you can tell that they were reliving those moments of the people that came before them. Let's all learn something from this film and from the great Martin Luther King Jr. You can't expect change with violence. The only way to make effective change is by making a stand together. I’m going to leave you with this quote from Martin Luther King Jr.: “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” 

Thank you for reading
& Remember to smile :) ,
X,
Racquel  
 

 

2 comments :

  1. Great post! I have to see this movie!

    Boulevard ACH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yes it's a phenomenal film. By the way, I like your blog! Have a great day!
      -Racquel

      Delete